We are a few weeks into the New Year which for many is when the excitement about goals starts to wear off and motivation falters.
How can you keep your goals and resolutions alive?
Stay connected to your emotional “why”:
Write about why your goal is important to you.
- What blessings will it bring to your life?
- What will it feel like when that happens?
- Who will you have become in the process?
- Why is it worth what it will take to get there?
Create a clear picture of why your goal is meaningful and keep what you have written at hand for those moments when you need to be reminded of how powerful your goal really is.
Keep your motivation high by taking a couple minutes each morning to visualize yourself in that moment when your goal becomes reality. See yourself smiling, laughing, and glowing with success. Fell the feelings of wonder, pride, and gratitude coming up inside of you. Staying connected to this visual and emotional vision will dramatically increase your possibility of success.
Prepare ahead for moments when you feel tempted to go rogue or get too stuck to move forward:
- Make a list of your goals, intentions, or resolutions
- For each one, list the things that could throw you off track
- Come up with one or two solutions for each of the challenges that might come up.
Now you have a plan ready to be implemented when needed.
Motivation can falter, but you can keep your goals alive with a strong commitment and tools like these. If you would like more tools, support, or accountability through coaching, please feel free to contact me. I can help.
Don’t forget to leave a comment. I would love to hear what you have to say.
You might also enjoy this related article by Leo Babauta at Zen Habits: Instead of Goals or Resolutions, Try Creating Rules