It’s easy to go a little crazy this time of year looking for the “perfect” gifts for your family and friends, many of which will go unused or be forgotten within a month or two.
Gift giving is not about:
- Proving your love for someone
- Maintaining your image
- Pleasing people to feel accepted
- The expectations of others
Gift giving is about:
- Looking into your heart for what feels right
- Choosing gifts that have meaning or bring more comfort to someone’s life
- Matching the gift to the needs of the receiver. Fancy gifts don’t make sense when someone needs groceries.
- Value, not money. A gift certificate for a couple hours babysitting to a harried mom is likely to be appreciated more than the latest thingamajig.
- Having a plan and working within a budget. People who truly care about you will not want you to go into debt.
- The personal touch. Little extras like words of appreciation or personal references that make it clear your gift was specially chosen for that person.
- Holding your gift to your heart and infusing it with love before passing it on