I’ve been to a lot of seminars over the years. Some were great, some were okay, and some of them made me feel uncomfortable. The ones I didn’t like usually involved pressure to buy, sell, or do something out of your comfort zone in order to be accepted.
It’s interesting to watch these charismatic seminar leaders in action. They make a lot of money doing this and are experts at building momentum and get people fired up.
They create a sense of urgency, use peer pressure, and sometimes shaming language:
- If you don’t buy this, you don’t have what it takes.
- You can’t succeed without us. We know better than you.
- It would be really stupid to let this opportunity slip away.
- You won’t belong if you don’t do this.
The people in our lives may use similar methods to control us. They can use our fears and feelings of unworthiness to their advantage. And sometimes, we are so caught up in it we don’t even realize that we are being pressured.
It’s important to have a way of checking in with ourselves when we are in these high pressure situations. The following questions are a great way to begin:
- Is it in alignment with my values?
- Do I feel pressured?
- What does my heart want me to know?
- Am I questioning my own judgment because everyone else is doing it?
- What is my body telling me? Is it contracting or relaxed?
- Can my decision be postponed so that I have time to think about it?
- Am I being made to feel there is something wrong with me if I don’t do this?
- Is this something I would feel comfortable telling my friends and family about?
True empowerment involves being able to check within under pressure, listen to your own inner guidance, and make choices that honor YOU.
If you would like support around something or someone who makes you feel pressured, working with a professional Life Coach can help you gain perspective and make self-honoring choices.
I would love to be the one who supports you through this. You can contact me by emailing: email@example.com or clicking here.